Monday, July 19, 2010

End In Sight

As some may have noticed, my blog title concerning the previous weekend’s adventures included part uno, suggesting there was to be more written. Well, I have decided to no longer tell you anything more about my epic weekend.


(Red squirrel. That is all.)

Kidding… well sort of.

I am just going to sum up the rest of the events from the weekend because I feel that this week has been much more important in respect to the ultimate purpose of my trip.

Saturday, I hiked up a real trail in the woods actually meant for hiking. This led the group of us on an intense adventure complete with three waterfalls. I took a swim at the bottom pool of the falls and even jumped off the smallest of the beautiful creations. Along with this jump included another from a rope swing and a daring leap off of a tree branch. The rush of adrenaline made the feeling of wanting to pee my pants from anticipation completely worth it. I therefore deem the weekend a success.


(A crazy man jumping off the second waterfall.)


(Another crazy man climbing up the rocks of a waterfall.)

Now back to the week.

Finding out that the past week was essentially the last week of working at my actual project site, I wanted to make the best out of it.

(Just a heads up. Next week is designated for exploring the country and what not but I am skipping out on some of the adventures to sneak in more time to work at another orphanage. It is what I came here to do and although it is nice that all of these fun things have been planned for the last week, I would rather do more of what I am enjoying, which is helping out kids.)

The new girls, Genesis and Rebecca, are gone already. I was baffled when I came into the orphanage on Monday and did not see their lovely faces. Word from DaKell, who I depend on to answer all of my questions, is that the sisters were taken to another house. I was also informed that Javier was taken to the same location. Apparently there are two homes for project Pani that I was unaware of. At least I know they are still being watched over by people who care.


(The original Genesis in the house is still around though.)

I have learned that motivation is a tough thing to spread around when no enthusiasm is present in the kids. Video games filled many of their interests for the beginning of the week. The strange thing was that I realized even games played on the television screen help the kids to learn English. It may not be the typical grammar and word choice lessons, but it is learning nonetheless.

The wide range of ages in the Pani house makes it difficult to focus on solely teaching English. Much of the work has ended up being child care and providing the children with someone that can take them away from their problems, even if only for a few hours a day.


(Arini keeping himself entertained with toys.)


(Genesis being fed her yummy cookies. So cute!)

My visits to Carpio have proved to be more focused on the teaching of English. The children are much closer in age, which makes the process easier. Handouts asking the kids to label the parts of the face in English, practicing the “Head, shoulders, knees and toes” song, and reviewing common phrases in English have all been included in the weeks activities.


(One of the boys filling in the parts of the faces.)

The kids, similar to those at Pani, are all willing to accept us into their group and include us in their activities. I even have a special handshake with one of the boys, named Ricardo.


(Ricardo showing off one of his guns. Haha.)

They all look up the volunteers with such respect that it makes it almost impossible to leave. I even let them use one of the cameras and they went absolutely crazy. Maybe they had never been able to use such a device before because they seemed so thrilled to be holding one.


(The kids were often entertained by taking a photo of me taking a photo.)


(Boys from Caprio enjoying the limelight in front of the camera.)

The kids fought over the use of it, but all of them seemed to be able to snap at least a few pictures during the day. I took the opportunity to use my nicer camera and capture some of the moments.

The same reaction occurred every time that I brought out my camera at Pani.


(Some of the kids showing their best poses for the camera.)

I was told at the beginning of my volunteering not to take pictures of the children at my project site. This did not go over well with myself and I decided that I could not leave without at least getting photos of some of my kids that I have worked with. It was the last week, so that means it is okay to do. Right? (I am obviously wrong but I am a photographer. What do you expect?)


(Alejandra and Alana fooling around and being goofy for a photo.)


(Jose and DaKell posing for the camera. Such goofs.)

Just showing the pictures I had taken of the kids made them so happy and giddy. I was amazed at how interested they were in the art of photography. Taking the risk, I let some of them use my nice camera. (But believe me I was walking along side of them the whole time with my hand under the lens. Haha.) The pictures they took were impressive and I applauded them for their works of art.


(Ruth grabbing for the camera. What a clown.)

Some accomplishments for the week include Arini and Estavon both being able to correctly state their age in English. Lindsay and I showed the girls some of our salsa moves. (The guys were too cool for things such as dancing.) All they wanted to do after was have us spin them constantly until they were falling on the floor. Jump rope was a new interest and was played often, with the children counting the number of jumps in English rather than Spanish.


(Alejandra going crazy in front of the camera. Haha.)

The kids also learned common phrases and reviewed the months and parts of the face all in English.


(Alena showing that she understands the word “eye” in English.)


(Estavon drawing and writing with the materials that were given to him.)

Their hard work was finally repaid when Lindsay and I brought out the gifts. Notebooks, pens, pencils, stickers, lollipops, and silly bands were all included. (Yes… silly bands. What better way to learn the names of the animals in English?)


(Jose apparently enjoying the taste of a silly band?)

Soon enough, more of the stickers found their way onto the kids rather than the paper.


(Arini covered in stickers. He looks so angry! Haha.)

Sadly, the time eventually did come when goodbyes had to be said. I choose to remain positive and say that I would see them later. I can only hope that in the time that I am gone, the kids continue on the positive path that they have been placed upon. Each of them has a unique personality and a mind that can be used in amazing ways. What they lack in a typical family is made up for in the love and passion they have for others.

I have come to realize that although I wasn’t put into a stereotypical orphanage for the entirety of my stay, the kids I worked with are just as alone as other orphans. They have no structured family to turn to in times of needs. The walls may not be crumbling down around them, but they are suffering the same ways as those children found in such conditions. They all need help and need to be strong and rise above their situations. The volunteers that come and allow them to have fun and learn are a helpful part in their process. We provide an outlet for the kids to turn to and rely upon.


(Teaching one of the Carpio boys the alphabet.)

This experience has undoubtedly changed my life. My plans for the future remain unclear but I know that volunteering in such a way is something I plan to continue. The kids have taught me so much about life and what to appreciate. The only way to truly repay them for all that they have done for me is to reach out again and again. My helping of others will continue and I hope that you stay along for the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment